I only have 2 days off. There was a time when I got so bored and found myself packing my things and headed north. It was Vigan on my mind. It took 7-8 hours ride from Cubao to Vigan including stopovers. I travelled at night around 10pm. I took the Partas Transit.
Been to this place twice. The first time was on a whim. The second time was with my sister. I wanted her to experience what I had the first time I got to that place. Same travel time.
Vigan was listed as a UNESCO World Heritage City.
There were so many things that can be done in Vigan.
I chose 5 best things:
1. Calle Crisologo.http://www.vigan.ph/calle_crisologo.html I consider this as the most remarkable street in the Philippines. One after the other, the lane is full of ancestral houses . However, they are now transformed to money-making establishment such as lodge and inn, bistro, shop and even club I enjoyed walking on the cobblestone . Moreover, riding the kalesa which made me feel like living in the Spanish era.
2. Vigan’s museums. My social studies’ teacher in high school taught us that museums take part in the safeguarding of cultural , historical and artistic feature of a place. It collects all significant bits and pieces of the past making it accessible to the new generation. Museum hopping in Vigan is a fun activity. Visit Padre Burgos Museum, Crisologo Museum, Syquia Mansion and Buridek Museum. This can be done thru kalesa tour. (again)
3. Pagburnayan Pottery Making. I got the chance to learn how to do clay pot making. It sure was a great experience.
4. St. Paul’s Cathedral (Vigan Cathedral) and St. Augustine Parish( Bantay Church) and Bell Tower.
I took a moment of silence and prayed. I praised and gave thanks to the Lord for giving me an exciting and healthy life. A few meters’ walk from St. Augustine Church is a belfry which sits on a hill. I climbed up the belfry and while on top, I got a good view of Vigan. I was told that it gained popularity among local tourists because of the famous Filipino film “Panday”
5. Baluarte ni Chavit . Chavit Singson, a famous Filipino politician owns Baluarte. This place is for animal lovers. where some wild species held in captive. The gigantic statue of dinosaur is a scene stealer It was featured in various reading materials and TV shows. It is more than just a zoo. It is considered as wildlife sanctuary.
The tour of vigan was even more exciting because of its delicacies. The very famous Vigan Longganisa of Cafe Leona plus the Empanada at Plaza Salcedo.